IN THIS ISSUE
- Rallies and Protests Against the Drone War
- Top News
- Opinion and analysis
A nationwide, month-long campaign of counter-drone teach-ins, rallies and protest, called "April Days of Action" by its organizers, will challenge the escalated use of drones for targeted assassination by the Obama Administration as well as domestic surveillance by police agencies around the United States. The actions will call for a total halt to drone killing and surveillance.
Locations, dates, and details can be found here.
This week’s top news:
US Sends Nuclear-Capable B-2 Stealth Bombers to Intimidate North Korea: The Obama administration has sent nuclear-capable B-2 bombers to drop munitions on a South Korean island, in an unprecedented move intended to intimidate North Korea.
US Training Syrian Rebels in Jordan: The military training has coincided with a sharp increase in the CIA’s effort to coordinate the delivery of weapons to Syria’s rebels from countries like Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Turkey, and others. This, despite the Obama administration’s continuing claims to stop short of directly arming the rebels.
Terrorized by Drones, Afghan Civilians Increasingly Flee Homes: Afghans are increasingly fleeing their homes in fear "to escape relentless airstrikes from US drones," which have markedly intensified over the past year in a process that is "feeding widespread anti-American sentiment," according to a report by The Associated Press.
Police: Four Children Killed in Afghan Night Raid: Local police are confirming that a NATO-led night raid against the Logar Province left at least five civilians, including four children dead, and a number of others wounded. NATO claims all those killed were Taliban members.
Emergency Motion: US Denying Gitmo Detainees Water: US officials have been desperate to stifle reports of a massive hunger strike among detainees at Guantanamo Bay, and the latest tactic, having failed in their attempts to simply deny it, is to punish the strikers.
Violating Own Laws, US Backs Alleged Death Squads in Honduras: US support for Honduran security forces has skyrocketed since the military coup took place there in 2009, even as reports of extra-judicial killings, disappearances and other human rights abuses have increased.
Opinion and Analysis
- Justin Raimondo wrote about the death of Boris Berezovsky, the militarization of American life, and whether budget ‘cuts’ will impact aid to Israel.
- Kelley Vlahos delved into the ugly hunger strike taking place at Guantanamo Bay by detainees demanding due process.
- Ivan Eland explained how clumsy US foreign policy plays right into the hands of despotic dictators.
- Phil Giraldi spelled out the politics of Obama’s trip to Israel and what it meant for Benjamin Netanyahu.
- Nebojsa Malic wrote about what happens to lawless empires.
- Adil Shamoo argued Obama is at the cliff’s edge in the Middle East, on Syria, Iran, and Israel-Palestine.
- Steve Breyman lamented the mostly mainstream foreign policy of Rand Paul.
- John Taylor critiqued Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas, "Obama and Bibi’s man in Palestine."
Antiwar.com recently added Bitcoin to the many ways you can help support our work. See here for the details!
If you are interested in buying advertising space at Antiwar.com, please contact Angela Keaton at +1-323-512-7095.
Apply for the Antiwar.com Visa Card and support us with every purchase you make.
Antiwar.com now earns between 6 and 15 percent of all Amazon.com purchases if you click on the Amazon button on any Antiwar.com page before you go shopping.
Forward this newsletter to your friends and encourage them to subscribe. (We don’t spam!) Fill out an application for the Antiwar.com Capital One credit card. Have a clunker in the driveway? Give it to us and then write it off! Want to donate your car, trailer, boat, or other junk to Antiwar.com? Please call 1-800-240-0160 for free next-day pickup. Or just make a good old-fashioned donation. Questions? Call 323-512-7095 or email email@example.com.